Mohican State Park
Loudonville, Ohio 44842
HISTORY OF THE AREA
The Mohican State Park area was once the hunting grounds of the Delaware Indians, whose more famous warriors included Janacake, Bill Montour, Thomas Lyon (reportedly the ugliest man alive!) and James Smith, who was the first white man to come to this area. Smith was captured by the Indians and later adopted into their tribe. Several Delaware villages were located in the Mohican vicinity. Settlement by non-Indians began at the turn of the nineteenth century, but settlement did not increase until the Indians were driven from the area during the War of 1812. John Chapman, immortalized as Johnny Appleseed, frequented the region during the 1800's, caring for his apple tree nurseries. His name and the date, carved in the wall of Lyons Falls, were an attraction for years. Unfortunately, the etchings have been obliterated with the passage of time.
Prior to 1949, most of the area that comprises the present Mohican State Park was part of the Mohican State Forest (also known as Mohican State Forest Park). The forest lands were administered by the Ohio Division of Forestry. In 1949, when the Ohio Department of Natural Resources was created, Mohican and several other state parks were developed from existing state forests. The new park was named Clear Fork State Park. Years later in 1966, the name was changed to Mohican State Park in order to alleviate confusion between Mansfield's Clearfork Reservoir and the state park. Even before this official move, visitors referred to the area as Mohican.